Five ways to identify silicone materials
Aug 02, 2022
Silicone rubber products are well received by consumers because of their superior performance, but some unscrupulous merchants on the market shoddy and use inferior products to pretend to be silicone products. In this case, consumers need to master some methods to identify silicone rubber raw materials. As a professional silicone manufacturer, we will share several commonly used methods for identifying silicone rubber.
1. Measure the weight, take out the sample, use the electronic scale or analytical balance, accurate to 0.01g. It is the easiest to distinguish the fluorine rubber. Because the weight of the fluorine rubber is the largest, 1.8 or more, the CR ECO is also more than 1.3. Large samples can be considered for these glues.
2. Combustion method, first take a small amount of product, after burning. Fluorine glue generally burns up in general, while CR and CSM are extinguished without fire support. NR and EPDM burn more flames. In addition, you can also carefully observe the burning state, color, and smell. For example, NBR/PVC is glued together. When there is a fire source, it will splash and ignite. After leaving the fire, it will self-extinguish. The smoke is rich and sour.
3. The hot air is aged, the sample is taken out, and it is aged for one day in the aging box to observe the phenomenon after aging. Grading aging gradually warms up. At 150 degrees, CR, NR, and SBR will be brittle, and NBR EPDM will be elastic. When it is raised to 180 degrees, ordinary NBR will be brittle; at 230 degrees, HNBR will also be brittle, and fluorine rubber and silica gel still have good elasticity.
4. Resistance to medium weight gain, can be sampled from the finished product, immersed in one or several selected media, and weighed after a certain temperature time, and the type of material is inferred according to the rate of change of hardness change rate. Soaking in 100 degree oil for 24 hours, NBR, fluorine rubber, ECO, CR quality and hardness change rate is small, while NR, EPDM, SBR gain more than double the hardness and change greatly, volume expansion is obvious.
5. Under low temperature method, take out the sample and put it into a suitable low temperature environment. The sample was soaked in a low temperature environment for 2-5 minutes and felt soft and hard at the selected temperature. For example, at -40 degrees, the same high temperature and oil resistance is very good compared with silica gel and fluorine rubber, and silica gel is soft.
Through the above five methods, the silicone rubber raw material can be distinguished. In actual operation, it is necessary to select a suitable method according to the existing configuration and conditions, and quickly distinguish the raw materials to ensure that the quality of the silicone product is obtained.